Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Electric Bill....sigh...




I received the electric bill today. Its for electric used between 12/06/07 and 1/8/08. Last month's bill was 47.91. We don't heat the house with electric, so it stands to reason that the electric bill will be lower. But every January we receive a super high bill. This year it was $205.00. We know that this is from Christmas and our Christmas lights in our front yard. But we were extra careful to have the lights on timers. And we have a nice front yard display, but not anything outrageous. I suppose the two Christmas trees and their lights counted too (as well as the 3 weeks worth of company). After analyzing the bill, it appears that they penalize you for going over 300kWh (whatever that is). Should we not put up our Christmas lights? Or should we just expect the large bill in January. Somehow, when the bill comes after the fact, it just doesn't seem worth it. My husband and I talked about it this morning. And he quipped "No more Christmas lights!". Then we looked at each other and said "But the kids LOVE them". So, next December we will have our Christmas lights. But we will also budget for January's unusually high electric bill.

2 comments:

Canadian Saver said...

Seems like everyone I've talked to has had a higher bill in January... up here a lot of people use electricity for their heat, and I know a few that had bills in the $600s... yikes!

I love your attitude! The kids (and you guys too probably) love the lights, so budgeting for it solves the problem :-)

Sharon said...

Yes, it would be sad not to put up our Christmas lights. I have to review last month's bills. I think the electric company raised its rates and they became effective in January.