Thursday, July 10, 2008

What's more important than wealth?

HEALTH!!!!

I've often taken that for granted. My family has been generally healthy, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. My oldest daughter has not been feeling well and will need to have several procedures done to find out what is wrong with her, or to rule out what's not wrong with her. She has not been able to eat very much, is losing weight, and is generally feeling bad.

Yesterday we were up all night with my son. He had sharp pains in his side, (which has happened before) and it's basically caused by lack of bowel movements...not enough fiber in his diet....I'll be monitoring his diet much more closely from now on...

My husband has not been feeling great either. Lack of energy, muscle pain, headaches. The doctor tested him for Lyme Disease, but the results came back negative. They believe he is having a reaction to coming off of his cholesterol medicine. He has to wait two months and be retested again. In the meantime, he is trying to lose some weight, eat right and exercise.

There is nothing more important than your health. Both my husband and I had gained excess weight and had stopped exercising. We became lazy. We both decided that it's time to do something about it. We are tired of feeling 80, when we are only 40 somethings....
So we are watching what we eat, exercising (starting off slow, but hopefully will pick up) and basically trying to feel better.

It's been a wake up call for me these past couple of weeks with the mysterious illnesses that are happening to my family, hopefully we can find out what is causing them, fix them and never take our health for granted again.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharon,
If you are concerned about Lyme you might ask to have more in depth testing done. But not every doctor does the Western Blot instead of the ELISA for Lyme. I sure hope that's not what Joe has but it's something to consider.
I understand very well what you're going through. We've been through lots health wise and it's not easy.
I'm here if you need a shoulder.

Sharon said...

Thanks for the info Sara. If he doesn't get better (because of being off of meds) I'll bring this up with the doctor. It's interesting though. Joe was on Lipitor (for about a year) and he gained almost 16 lbs. Since he's been off of it, he's lost 6 lbs (in two weeks). He said he is starting to feel a bit better. You have to be so careful with the meds doctors are pushing these days. The side effects seem to be worse than the problem itself!
Thanks for you support! Hope Brad is feeling better!
Sharon

asgreen said...

It is so true. I was not feeling well for a while and stopped exercising and eating right. I feel amazing now that I'm exercising again. I'm also watching what I'm eating and eating every few hours. It helps keep my energy up. Good luck. I'm sure it will help everyone's health.

Noel Larson said...

Hope everyone feels better soon. Horrible to feel blah during the summer!

All the best!

Sharon said...

Thanks everyone! My daughter had her first procedure today, and so far so good...they think it may be a parasite that she may have caught in New orleans when she was at workcamp this past May. Ugh.

CT Mom said...

Hi Sharon! I hope your daughter is feeling better and you are all on the mend. We had some issues with our older daughter and her blood sugar - she would wake up in the middle of the night shaking and after a popsicle would calm down. I was afraid it was diabetes but it is hypoglycemia, so we have to watch her diet (high protein/low carb). We also have to watch her snacks - for example, too much popcorn triggers a crash.

Good luck to you - take it one day at a time ....

Sharon said...

Thanks CT Mom!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon

Best of luck with your family's health. You are right - what is the use of being wealthy if you're not healthy?

Ecclesiastes 5:19 And it is a good thing to receive wealth from God and the good health to enjoy it.

I found your blog from Nate's working to be debt free. I've subscribed to your feed and I'll be following. :)

Take care,
Francois

Sharon said...

Francois!
Welcome! And thank you so much for your kind words!

Canadian Saver said...

Sharon, I really hope everyone is feeling better... must be stressful for you too!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! This is a good wake-up call!

If your daughter was at workcamp - has she been tested for Giardia?

And has your son been tested for allergies?

Glad you're getting it all looked into!

Jennifer said...

Sorry to hear about your family's health concerns. Hope everyone is feeling better soon!

Sharon said...

Jennifer and CS!
thank you!

Paradigmshifted:
thanks for the info, she is getting tested for parasites (is that what Giardia is?). Her endoscopy was fine, Friday she goes for a colonoscopy. They should be able to tell from that and extensive blood tests...hopefully we'll know by Friday!

I haven't had my son tested for allergies, it might be a good idea!

Maggie said...

I wish you all well! Keep a eye on your son too! Young people can get diverticulitis and sometimes it is more agressive in younger people. I had to have surgery for it at 33 after being unable to control it any other way.