Thursday, July 10, 2008

Magic jars...con't.

As I'm preparing to use my jars, I actually did some shopping today and am not sure what categories they fall into...
For instance, I purchased misc. household items...shampoo, conditioner, deodorant...should these be put in misc? How about school supplies? Where do they go? Misc., again? If so, then I way UNDER budgeted. I really don't want to put them under groceries and food, so now I'll have to recalculate...
I'm assuming this will take some time to get it right. I'm anxious to fill up the jars and get started....4 more days!

4 comments:

Canadian Saver said...

Sharon, is it too late to create a health/beauty jar and a kids' jar? Or would you rather keep the number of jars as is? I'd say the stuff you listed (shampoo, school supplies) would fall under misc. if you keep your categories as is. Pencils are definitely not groceries :-)

Sharon said...

CS,
Thanks for the suggestion! I think I may add two more jars for the plain and simple fact that it makes it clearer where they money is being spent. I LOVE the idea of a kid jar. This way they can see what I have to spend....

Noel Larson said...

I can only tell you what we did, and then I'll let the readers beat me :)

Health and beauty we have in grocery, we buy it there, it isn't frivoulous stuff...made sense to us.

On personal stuff that you want for yourself, make-up etc. We take out of our allowances.

We have a kid allowance enelope as well, and they have to keep track of there own money (altough we help the 8 yr old a bit when he save as he is prone to mis-place the actual cash).

Sharon said...

Racerx,
Thanks! My younger ones do have an allowance, but I purchase school supplies, and anything relating to school needs. They pay for extra entertainment that they want, because their allowance is about $5.00 a week, or $20.00 a month. My hubby and I don't get an allowance, we'll use money from jars. Actually, my husband spends almost nothing...so...