Monday, November 3, 2008

The calm....before the storm?

Well, things have settled down a bit, although I still don't have results from my daughter's testing, my Mom is still feeling under the weather, and my brother is still jobless. I'm hoping to hear good news soon....hopefully in all of these situations....

We just spent money on a new HD television, (my husband and my Christmas gift to each other). Our old TV was analog and the picture was shrinking. This was a rather pricey purchase, but we should have it for quite a while. It goes very nicely with the new Verizon Fios we just had installed. By bundling this package we will be saving over $50.00 a month. Tongue in cheek with the saving part....because it will take us several years to recoup the price we paid for the new television....

I can't help wondering, though, with all the turmoil around me that this just was another emotional spending expedition. I could have waited until after Christmas, and perhaps get it for less..but I was feeling very vulnerable. Still, we are paying for it with CASH, so there will be no new debt. (It just limits us on total Christmas $$$, sorry kids!)

The election is tomorrow, (halleluia!) and hopefully life in general can get back to normal. My birthday is Wednesday so I'm really looking forward to it for more reasons than I can name. (i.e. election over, soccer season over, baseball season over....etc.)

I haven't had an opportunity to read blogs, but I hope to over the next week or so...thank you all for your kind words, I so appreciate it!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you are going to spend money on a TV, might as well get one that will last. and you bought it for cash (and the kids will get gifts every year), so all in all, i think it's a good deal. enjoy!

jpkittie said...

glad to hear that things are a little bit better --- I hope that they continue to get better. Merry Christmas to you & your DH!

I am with you on the election being over - I personally am tired of getting 5 or 6 calls per day! Yuck!

Happy Birthday on Wednesday! Enjoy it :)

Giraffe Spender said...

Sharon,

Happy Birthday!

Blessings,
Tif

Jerry said...

TV's don't die very often. Did you consider used from Craigslist or ebay? Ebay's always selling great used and new tvs. You'd spend a heck of a lot less and it's a little insurance for the environment cuz you're cutting down on consumerism. Just a thought...

Jerry
www.leads4insurance.com