Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Take me out to the ball game....NOT!


I can't believe how quickly April has gone by. Tomorrow is the last day of April and I feel as though it passed me by. April, at least in our neck of the woods, signals green grass, blossomed trees, flowers, (and pollen), barbeques, and relaxing on our deck..(at least before it gets too hot that we can't go out there). We've been so busy with baseball games, soccer games, and school functions that we haven't had a free weekend to enjoy just being. Those of you who are familiar with the sports scene know that it's not just going to the games, it's providing snack, being there at least 30 minutes before the game starts, rushing to get one child to their game even when the other's isn't over yet. (Not to mention trying to tolerate the disgraceful way the baseball coaches play against each other where "winning at all costs" is their mantra, instead of teaching the boys the game...but that's a different story for another time!)

My kids love their sports, but I'm finding myself hating the time involved. I feel cheated that I don't have the time to just relax and appreciate just hanging out. Or, having the chance to choose a fun family activity for the day. For the past two weekends we have been out of the house from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. just attending ball games. Lunch is usually eaten out. I can not tell you the last time I cooked a home cooked meal two days in a row! And it's not just the weekends, my son's baseball games take up time during the week as well!

May is not looking much better (as far as free time on the weekends). My daughter is graduating from college (good thing!), and sports continue until June. (Ugh) We have not yet mulched or planted flowers or started a garden....will June be too late???

I'm hoping to strongly suggest that my kids take next spring off from sports so that we can discover other great things to do....

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for your encouraging words today! I know what you mean about being busy with kids activities. Luckily we are very light this Spring - first time ever - and it has been wonderful! for everyone! Hang in there!

Canadian Saver said...

I honestly don't know how parents do it... and it's a great idea to suggest they take a season off... they may realize there's more to life than sports!

I've never been in team sports, my thing was horse racing, but my sister played lots and my mom said the happiest day of her life was when my sister got her drivers' license! At least she didn't have to go watch practices!!

June won't be too late for yard work nope, that stuff won't be going away. There's lots to do here too!

Sharon said...

CS,
How about a garden? When should I plant veggies and such?

Anonymous said...

I'm so with you on this...If I get cold and drenched through once more this year I might boycott all the games!
lol :)